Group seeks $1 million to preserve W.Va. Civil War battlefield
The Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association asked the Jefferson County Commission for the money, saying the battlefield is among the nation's 10 most at-risk Civil War battle sites.
About 300 acres, or half of the site, remains in relatively pristine condition and can be preserved. The remainder "has been lost to real estate development," said association president Edward Dunleavy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate