Tasmanian Student Named Australia's Top Young HistorianBreaking News
The 15-year-old said she was both astounded and thrilled.
"I had seen the other entries and they were all so good -- so I was very surprised when I was chosen," she said.
She won top honours for her outstanding essay on the Snug District Disaster Appeal Committee.
The committee was formed two years after the 1967 bushfires to help raise money for other natural disasters around Australia.
The group gave to the Canberra bushfires in 2003.
She wins a Commonwealth medal and plaque as well as $500.
comments powered by Disqus
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian