Tasmanian Student Named Australia's Top Young HistorianBreaking News
The 15-year-old said she was both astounded and thrilled.
"I had seen the other entries and they were all so good -- so I was very surprised when I was chosen," she said.
She won top honours for her outstanding essay on the Snug District Disaster Appeal Committee.
The committee was formed two years after the 1967 bushfires to help raise money for other natural disasters around Australia.
The group gave to the Canberra bushfires in 2003.
She wins a Commonwealth medal and plaque as well as $500.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools