Tasmanian Student Named Australia's Top Young HistorianBreaking News
The 15-year-old said she was both astounded and thrilled.
"I had seen the other entries and they were all so good -- so I was very surprised when I was chosen," she said.
She won top honours for her outstanding essay on the Snug District Disaster Appeal Committee.
The committee was formed two years after the 1967 bushfires to help raise money for other natural disasters around Australia.
The group gave to the Canberra bushfires in 2003.
She wins a Commonwealth medal and plaque as well as $500.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history