'New World' Heads to Colonial Williamsburg
The film dramatizes encounters between white colonists and AmericanIndians, focusing on the relationship between Smith, portrayed by ColinFarrell, and the Indian princess Pocahontas, who intervened to save himwhen he was captured by her tribe.Q'orianka Kilcher plays Pocahontas. Christopher Plummer, Christian Baleand August Schellenberg also star.Director Terrence Malick filmed scenes at Jamestown, the firstpermanent English settlement in North America, and nearby locations.Officials hope "The New World" will boost tourism in Jamestown as "TheLord of the Rings" did in New Zealand. Both films are from New Line Cinema.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Memorial Where Slavery Is Real
- Thomas Piketty accuses Germany of forgetting history as it lectures Greece
- Greek ‘No’ May Have Its Roots in Heroic Myths and Real Resistance
- 150 years later, schools are still a battlefield for interpreting Civil War
- Where are America's memorials to pain of slavery, black resistance?
- Historian: "I don’t want my students to simply choose sides in a polemic between heritage and hate"
- Harvard’s Nancy Cott says the conservatives in the gay marriage case have a stilted idea of the history of marriage
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- How Does It Feel To Have One’s Work as a Historian Cited by the Supreme Court? Cool. Very Cool. Thank You Very Much.