'New World' Heads to Colonial Williamsburg
The film dramatizes encounters between white colonists and AmericanIndians, focusing on the relationship between Smith, portrayed by ColinFarrell, and the Indian princess Pocahontas, who intervened to save himwhen he was captured by her tribe.Q'orianka Kilcher plays Pocahontas. Christopher Plummer, Christian Baleand August Schellenberg also star.Director Terrence Malick filmed scenes at Jamestown, the firstpermanent English settlement in North America, and nearby locations.Officials hope "The New World" will boost tourism in Jamestown as "TheLord of the Rings" did in New Zealand. Both films are from New Line Cinema.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston
- History Department at Connecticut College deplores Facebook post on Palestinians
- Historians join other scholars in protesting Georgia's anti-gay legislation
- Homeland Security historian builds winning case against Salvadoran leader who oversaw crimes
- What Howard Zinn taught the students of Spelman College