Brexit will ultimately destabilise Europe, historians fearBreaking News
tags: historians, Brexit
Arguably the most important aspect of this general election’s ongoing debate on Brexit is being almost completely ignored, according to new research.
A survey of all national weekday newspaper and TV-news general election coverage shows that, so far, only around 3 per cent of Brexit-related news content mentions how a UK departure from the EU may affect future European stability and security.
“Despite the fact that it is, without doubt, one of the most important Brexit-related issues, it remains the unacknowledged ‘elephant in the room’ in this so-called Brexit election,” says British-media expert Professor David Deacon, of Loughborough University’s Centre for Research in Communication and Culture, which is carrying out the survey.
Experts on European politics and history are shocked by the imbalance in the media coverage – and are warning of the probably consequences.
“Given our history, we know that failures in European solidarity and stability have had terrible consequences,” says Professor Beatrice Heuser, chair of international relations at the University of Glasgow.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of