Queen Elizabeth II Set to Become Longest Reigning UK MonarchBreaking News
tags: UK, monarch, Queen Elizabeth II
She has lived longer than any of her predecessors, seen a dozen prime ministers come and go and presided over six decades of British history - from postwar recovery to the death of Princess Diana and terror attacks on London.
Now Queen Elizabeth II is set to become the longest reigning monarch in British history. On Wednesday, she beats the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria - 63 years and 7 months - more than a century ago. Only four other British kings and queens have reigned 50 years or more.
"You have to be a certain age to remember a time when she wasn't the queen," said royal historian and commentator Hugo Vickers.
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea