Jon Meacham apologizes for comments on ObamaHistorians in the News
tags: Jon Meacham
NEW YORK -- A Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer is apologizing for saying on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that Franklin Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln did not attempt to "rebuild" the country through executive orders, which President Obama advocated this week as an alternative to getting legislation enacted.
Jon Meacham wrote in an email Thursday to The Associated Press that he was at best "imprecise" and at worst "just plain wrong." Many commentators noted that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order and that Roosevelt advanced numerous New Deal initiatives through executive orders....
comments powered by Disqus
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- The Story Behind the Truman Quote in President Trump's U.N. Speech
- As Trump Declares Missing in Action Recognition Day, How Many Service Members Are Missing?
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar