Kanye West’s Ego Can’t Change HistoryRoundup: Media's Take
tags: Confederate flag, Kanye West
Elon James White is a writer and host of the award-winning video and radio series This Week in Blackness. Listen Monday to Thursday at 3 p.m. EST on TWIB.FM. Subscribe to the TWIB.FM Network on iTunes. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Tumblr.
(The Root)—The Confederate flag has been getting a lot of press recently.
You’ve probably read stories of students wearing the flag to school, the flag being waved at the gates of the White House and the “that’s not what it means” debate. Is it Southern pride or the symbol of American oppression’s past? Most Americans have the common sense or at least the common decency not to parade the flag around, even if they agree with its supposedly controversial meaning.
Enter Kanye West.
Mr. West, troublemaker supreme, in a move that must have had record-label executives and #TeamYeezy’s branding crew on edge, has branded his Yeezus tour with the Confederate flag. No, Mr. West hasn’t found slave owners in his family tree and decided to show family pride....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea