A government shutdown history lessontags: government shutdown
You keep hearing this is the first time in nearly 18 years that the U.S. government shutdown. So you might be surprised to know...
While the term “shutdown” may sound pretty daunting, they actually used to be a yearly occurrence. There have been a whopping 17 since 1976. (Via NBC)
As a former legal advisor to the House of Representatives told NPR: “It was thought that Congress would soon get around to passing the spending bill and there was no point in raising a ruckus while waiting.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead