Jonathan Capehart: Snowden not a "Badass" Like Harvard Alum Daniel EllsbergRoundup: Media's Take
tags: Jonathan Capehart, Edward Snowden, Daniel Ellsberg, Pentagon Papers
Enough with the breathless comparisons. Edward Snowden is no Daniel Ellsberg. I know the latter has heaped praise on the former. But the high-mindedness of our present-day national-security leaker is nowhere near the gutsiness of the man who changed the course of the Vietnam War by releasing the Pentagon Papers more than 40 years ago....
...If Snowden has the courage of his convictions why won’t he face the consequences of his actions here on U.S. soil in U.S. courts? Fine, he apparently has no faith in the rule of law in the United States or its courts. But why not ask the American people to decide his fate? He was fighting for us, so I thought. And this is where the comparison to Ellsberg rankles.
Ellsberg’s bio reveals him to be a badass. He earned a B.A. (1952) and his Ph.D. (1962) at Harvard. He was a Woodrow Wilson Fellow at King’s College at Cambridge (1952-1953). After getting deferments during his study, he volunteered for the Marines in 1953. He then worked as a contractor for the RAND Corporation and within the government as a high-level staffer at the defense and state departments where he was involved in the execution and escalation of the Vietnam war. It was during a second tour at RAND that Ellsberg worked on the 7,000-page, 47-volume behemoth that came to be known as the Pentagon Papers....
comments powered by Disqus
- Berlin's street names provoke debate over forgotten colonial history
- 'World's first newspaper published in Korea in 1557'
- Trump’s claim that ‘no administration has accomplished more in the first 90 days’
- Trump parroted Chinese version of history
- Museum of the American Revolution opens: 'It's high time we had a museum such as this'
- David McCullough: President Trump's Disregard for History Is 'Utter Nonsense'
- Professor uses role-playing, video game to teach history
- American Historical Review apology prompts soul-searching over racial gatekeeping in the academe
- Professor who tweeted Trump 'must hang' goes on leave for semester
- Jonathan Zimmerman is joining the growing ranks of liberal historians alarmed by college speech codes