Just How Many History MOOCs are Being Offered Now, Anyway?Education
tags: MOOCs, David Austin Walsh, online education, Coursera, edX
David Austin Walsh is the editor of the History News Network. Follow him on Twitter @DavidAstinWalsh.
Though many historians are nervous about the potential massive disruption in higher education due to the proliferation of massive online education courses, only a handful of MOOCs are actually dedicated to history.
Of four of the largest MOOC providers survey -- Coursera, edX, Udacity, and Semester Online -- only eight history courses actually taught by history faculty are being offered.
Popular MOOC provider Coursera only has two dedicated history courses taught by historians open for registration as of June 9, though at least one additional class is in development.
EdX, the non-profit MOOC established by Harvard and MIT, also offers eight history classes, but most have a classics or literature focus and are taught by professors from classics, English, or area studies departments.
Udacity does not offer history or traditional humanities courses at all, focusing instead on STEM and social science courses.
Other providers offer online courses for credit to participating schools through the Semester Online consortium (Boston College, Emory, Northwestern, Washington University in St. Louis, Notre Dame, UNC Chapel Hill; Duke University famously withdrew from the consortium after faculty protest in late April):
Despite the relative paucity of history offerings, the entire MOOC concept is still very much in its formative stages. John McNeill, professor of history at Georgetown University and vice-president for research at the American Historical Association, acknowledged as much in a March 2013 column in AHA Perspectives. Colleges and universities across America are assembling committees to develop MOOC strategies, and McNeill acknowledged that the proliferation of history MOOCs is more or less inevitable.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography