comments powered by Disqus
Week of May 13, 2013HNN Rundowns
News at Home
|The Tea Party Isn't Conservative|
Christopher S. Parker
It's the latest manifestation of the pseudo-conservative paranoid style in American politics. And here's the statistical proof.
Tags: Tea Party, Richard Hofstadter, paranoid style, John Birch Society
|Why is Our Government Prosecuting Whistleblowers?|
William J. Astore
What happens when the White House becomes the Kremlin?
Tags: Barack Obama, federal government, United States, whistleblowers
|Pray the Way I Do|
A scandal in Israel: Women praying at the Wailing Wall.
Tags: Israel, Judaism, prayers, Wailing Wall
|Terrorism in the Workplace|
Don't mourn the dead in Dhaka -- organize.
Tags: Bangladesh, labor, safety, unions
|Happy Birthday, Kosovo!|
Serbia and Kosovo have signed an historic agreement to end two decades of conflict.
Tags: civilization, EU, Kosovo, Serbia
Historians & History
| Ira Katznelson: The Racist History of the New Deal |
Ira Katznelson on the New Deal in the age of Roosevelt and Truman.
Tags: Ira Katznelson, New Deal, racism, South
|Marc Lendler: "Every Idea is an Incitement..."|
Marc Lendler on the continuing relevance of Gitlow v. New York, the landmark free speech trial from the Red Scare.
Tags: free speech, Gitlow v. New York, Marc Lendler, Red Scare
| Why Historians' Memoirs are So Valuable |
James M. Banner, Jr.
John Elliott's new memoir is a must-read to understand the practice of history over the past sixty years.
Tags: John Elliott, memoirs, Spain, Weekly Standard
|Thomas Jefferson's Nightmare|
The specter of a slave revolt haunted the South until the outbreak of the Civil War.
Tags: Civil War, Haiti, slavery, Thomas Jefferson
|Republicans Should Like Ike|
Keith W. Olson
His example offers the party a way forward.
Tags: Dwight D. Eisenhower, GOP, Republican Party, Tea Party
|Review of James Patterson's The Eve of Destruction|
Jeffrey Aaron Snyder
Did 1965 really change America?
Tags: 1965, books, Eve of Destruction, James Patterson
|Review of Jill Lepore’s The Story of America|
A worthy successor to the tradition of Richard Hofstadter.
Tags: books, Jill Lepore, Luther Spoehr, The Story of America
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Angled for Soviet Posting In the 1980s
- Places That Are Actually Worth Visiting
- JFK’s last birthday: Gifts, champagne and wandering hands on the presidential yacht
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools