TaxesTeachers' Edition: Grades 3-6 (Lesson Plans)
Common Core Standards Correlation:
Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies Grades 9 – 12: standards 1 – 4, and 6 – 9
Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies Grades 9 – 12: standards 1 - 9
- Identify various forms of federal income taxation
- Understand how to fill out a simplified federal tax form
- Analyze the importance of taxes on the progress of society
- Evaluate which tax policies are best for America’s development
1. Introduction: Bell Ringer
Based on the amount of money you had to pay, do you feel your tax share was fair?
2. Activity: Review the Backgrounder
3. How Federal Income Tax Works
4. Summary Question: To what extent is the process of collecting taxes easy?
HW Assignment: Have students read Seeking the Path to a Simpler Tax Code and answer the Questions to Consider.
4. Introduction (Bell Ringer): The Debate over Tax Code
Questions to Consider:
2. Positions on Tax Codes
Progressive Tax Proponents
3. Review Homework Article
4. Introduce Debate Activity
Resolved: A progressive tax policy is the best policy for an efficient government?
Homework Assignment: Have students research their assigned topic for the class debate using the Debate Research Graphic Organizer
Activity: Debate the Resolution
1. How well did your group meet the criteria established at the beginning of the round?
2. To what extent is tax reform an easy process?
3. What would it take for Congress to reform the tax code?
1. Have students create an annotated timeline/chronology of tax legislation in the United States
2. Students should write a letter to Congress supporting their position on reforming the tax code
3. Have students create a Rap PSA that informs students how to file their taxes when they are independent adults
comments powered by Disqus
- Appeals Court Finds Netherlands Partially Liable for Srebrenica Massacre
- University of Virginia president urges community to avoid KKK rally
- Developer to resume Topgolf planning despite findings of slave cemetery
- New Jersey Residents March For Slavery Reparations
- New book says amount of mustard gas exposure in World War II may be higher than acknowledged by government
- John B. Boles wants students to know more about Jefferson than that he was a slaveholder
- Historian Daniel K. Williams says Democrats have a religion problem
- Bill O’Reilly – America’s best-selling “historian” – ridiculed in Harper’s for writing bad history
- Largest history festival is the UK criticized for being white and male
- Eric Foner doesn’t think much of a book that claims Lincoln moved slowly to emancipate blacks because he was a racist