TaxesTeachers' Edition: Grades 3-6 (Lesson Plans)
Common Core Standards Correlation:
Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies Grades 9 – 12: standards 1 – 4, and 6 – 9
Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies Grades 9 – 12: standards 1 - 9
- Identify various forms of federal income taxation
- Understand how to fill out a simplified federal tax form
- Analyze the importance of taxes on the progress of society
- Evaluate which tax policies are best for America’s development
1. Introduction: Bell Ringer
Based on the amount of money you had to pay, do you feel your tax share was fair?
2. Activity: Review the Backgrounder
3. How Federal Income Tax Works
4. Summary Question: To what extent is the process of collecting taxes easy?
HW Assignment: Have students read Seeking the Path to a Simpler Tax Code and answer the Questions to Consider.
4. Introduction (Bell Ringer): The Debate over Tax Code
Questions to Consider:
2. Positions on Tax Codes
Progressive Tax Proponents
3. Review Homework Article
4. Introduce Debate Activity
Resolved: A progressive tax policy is the best policy for an efficient government?
Homework Assignment: Have students research their assigned topic for the class debate using the Debate Research Graphic Organizer
Activity: Debate the Resolution
1. How well did your group meet the criteria established at the beginning of the round?
2. To what extent is tax reform an easy process?
3. What would it take for Congress to reform the tax code?
1. Have students create an annotated timeline/chronology of tax legislation in the United States
2. Students should write a letter to Congress supporting their position on reforming the tax code
3. Have students create a Rap PSA that informs students how to file their taxes when they are independent adults
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history