Juliet Lapidos: Thatcher -- The G.O.P.’s Favorite ForeignerRoundup: Media's Take
tags: Republican Party, conservatism, GOP, Margaret Thatcher, Sarah Palin
Juliet Lapidos is a staff editor with the NYT editorial board.
Margaret Thatcher, who died Monday morning at 87, was American conservatives’ favorite foreigner.
When Sarah Palin traveled to London she requested a meeting with the former prime minister. (That Mrs. Thatcher declined, reportedly because her aides found the prospect of such an encounter “belittling,” is another matter.) In advance of the Republican primaries, Newt Gingrich showed his deep respect for Mrs. Thatcher by comparing himself to her. “Because I am much like Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, I’m such an unconventional political figure.”
Her status as a right-wing icon, a hero of modern conservatism almost on par with Reagan, shows no sign of declining with her death. Republican House Speaker John Boehner said earlier today that she was the “greatest peacetime prime minister in British history.” And Representative Steve Stockman, Republican of Texas, released a statement praising Mrs. Thatcher for taking “a sledgehammer to the machinery of liberalism.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges