comments powered by Disqus
Week of March 25, 2013HNN Rundowns
|Pete Seeger: "That Was the First Time I Met Reverend King..."|
Pete Seeger remembers the civil rights movement.
Tags: civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Pete Seeger, Rosa Parks
The Iraq War After 10 Years
|American Anniversaries from Hell|
What you don't know can hurt you.
Tags: Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq War, war on terror
|The Hell of Iraq, Ten Years Later|
Life in a country with no future.
Tags: Iraq, Iraq War, refugees, sectarian violence
|Donald Rumsfeld: "What Will History Say?"|
History will say Rumsfeld and his cronies were knaves, fools, and possibly war criminals, but the buck doesn't stop there.
Tags: Donald Rumsfeld, George W. Bush, Iraq War, war crimes
|The Iraq War: A Failure of Presidential Leadership|
Peter R. Mansoor
George W. Bush came up with a flawed strategy, then left it to the generals to fix it.
Tags: Iraq War, anniversaries, George W. Bush, strategy
|Britain's Costly Iraq Blunder|
Not only will the Iraq War make British PMs more cautious in the future, it may contribute to the very unravelling of the UK itself.
Tags: Great Britain, Iraq, Iraq War, Scotland
|Papa Francesco: A New Era?|
Steven M. Avella
The former president of the American Catholic Historical Association (and ordained priest) on the significance of the new pope.
Tags: Catholic Church, papacy, Pope Francis, popes
|If Not for Muammar Gaddafi, This Guy Might Have Been Pope|
Sergio Pignedoli was a frontrunner to succeed Pope Paul VI in 1978... then he went to Libya for an ill-conceived theology conference.
Tags: Sergio Pignedoli, popes, Muammar Gaddafi, Islam
|Lockheed Martin at the Trough|
Lawrence S. Wittner
The defense industry's addiction to corporate welfare.
Tags: corporate welfare, Lockheed Martin, Maryland, Montgomery County
|The President, in Israel, Giveth and Taketh Away|
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Obama's Niebuhrian foreign policy.
Tags: Barack Obama, Israel, special relationship, Israeli-Palestinian conflict
|Denying Islam's Role in Terror: Explaining the Denial|
Why do so many experts continue to deny the obvious?
Tags: Islam, Islamism, Middle East Quarterly, terrorism
|A Brief History of Suicide Bombing|
Jeffrey William Lewis
It isn't just for religious fundamentalists.
Tags: Origins, suicide bombing, terrorism, The Ohio State University
|The Ever-Destructive Dreams of Air Power Enthusiasts|
William J. Astore
Aerial warfare has never been cheap, nor surgical, nor decisive.
Tags: air power, bombings, drones, drone warfare
Historians & History
|Channelling Ben Franklin|
The distinguished gentleman from Pennsylvania's take on current events.
Tags: American Revolution, Ben Franklin, Channelling George Washington, Founding Fathers
|Learning to "Lean In" from Our Nineteenth-Century Ancestors|
Ellen Gruber Garvey
The first women to "lean in" were like Caroline Healey Dall.
Tags: Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg, feminism, Caroline Healey Dall
|Breakfast at Tiffany's -- Send It Back|
Game of Thrones's Emilia Clarke makes a terrible Holly Golightly in this disaster of a play.
Tags: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Cort Theater, Emilia Clarke, theater reviews
|The 1905 "Bloody Sunday" Showdown in Russia|
The New York Public Theater's taut retelling of the first Russian Revolution.
Tags: Bloody Sunday, Neva, Russian Revolution, theater reviews
|Review of Diane Brady’s Fraternity|
Twenty young black men were admitted to the College of the Holy Cross in 1968... and they changed the world.
Tags: Clarence Thomas, College of the Holy Cross, Diane Brady, Fraternity
|Review of Mohsin Hamid's How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia|
A wonderful deconstruction of the self-help genre.
Tags: How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia, fiction, Mohsin Hamid, The Reluctant Fundamentalist
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity