comments powered by Disqus
Week of March 11, 2013HNN Rundowns
|HNN Hot Topics: Saint Patrick's Day|
Tags: Hot Topics , Ireland, Irish, Irish-Americans, St. Patrick's Day
| Did the New Pope Collaborate with the Argentine Military Junta?|
David Austin Walsh
Historians press for caution, avoid rushing to judgment.
Tags: Argentina, Francis, junta, papacy
HNN Feature: The Official Historians of Congress
|Matthew Wasniewski's Front Row Seat to History|
Why the Historian of the House of Representatives loves his job.
Tags: careers, House Historian, Matthew Wasniewski, profiles
|Donald Ritchie: The Senate's Expert on the Senate|
It's a challenging, but rewarding, task to document a 224-year-old institution.
Tags: careers, Donald Ritchie, profiles, Senate Historian
News at Home
|"Debt Crisis": The Myth Behind the Myth|
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Obama would have better luck with the budget when he remembers most Americans don't care about economic theory.
Tags: Debt crisis, economics, growth, Paul Krugman
|Compromise as the Constitution’s Foundation|
David Brian Robertson
The very concept of a written U.S. Constitution is a compromise -- and it's a good lesson for our leaders today.
Tags: Constitution, Founding Fathers, compromise, James Madison
| The Epic Story of the C-130, the Air Force's Monument to Pork|
Or, how Congress learned to stop worrying and love spending money on planes even the Pentagon doesn't want.
Tags: Congress, corruption, Pentagon, pork-barrel spending
|Hugo Chavez's Sullied Progressive Legacy in the Mideast|
He confused anti-imperialism and anti-Americanism with a genuine commitment to improving the lives of the people.
Tags: Hugo Chavez, Iran, Libya, Syria
|A Modest Proposal to House Republicans: Cut the Nuclear Weapons Budget|
Lawrence S. Wittner
The U.S. wastes hundreds of billions of dollars on a bloated nuclear arsenal.
Tags: budget cuts, defense spending, nuclear weapons, Republican Party
|In Defense of Lars Hedegaard|
The Danish historian was the target of an assassination attempt by radical Muslims; now he's the victim of character assassination by the New York Times.
Tags: Denmark, Islamism, Lars Hedegaard, radical Islam
| Senior al-Qaeda Veteran Captured, But His Successors Roam the Planet|
The trial of Suleiman Abu Ghaith is ultimately strategically irrelevant.
Tags: Al Qaeda, counter-terrorism, Osama bin Laden, Suleiman Abu Ghaith
Historians & History
|When It Comes to Transparency, Obama's Channeling His Inner Nixon|
Mary L. Dudziak
Nixon suppressed his own controversial foreign policy white paper in 1973.
Tags: Richard Nixon, Cambodia, Vietnam War, Barack Obama
|Lucy Lobdell to Lilly Ledbetter: the First Steps on the Rocky Road to Equal Pay|
"You could be housekeeper or wife: indentured servant or slave."
Tags: equal pay, feminism, gender, Women's History Month
|A Tumultuous Ride Back to JFK’s Camelot with "Jackie"|
Tina Benko is sensational as the chic First Lady.
Tags: Jackie, JFK, City Center Stage, theater reviews
|Review of Colm Toibin's The Testament of Mary|
A novel in vein of, yet distinct from, The Last Temptation of Christ.
Tags: Colm Toibin, Gospel of John, synoptic gospels, The Testament of Mary
|Review of Ray Raphael's Constitutional Myths|
A lively, engaging rebuttal to conservative Constitutional interpretation.
Tags: Constitutional Myths, Founding Fathers, Constitution, Ray Raphael
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity