comments powered by Disqus
Week of March 4, 2013HNN Rundowns
|HNN Hot Topics: Hugo Chavez, 1954-2013|
Tags: Hot Topics, Hugo Chavez, in memoriam, obituaries
|Congress Needs to Lead on the Budget, Not the President|
The president does not (and should not) have the power of the purse.
Tags: Barack Obama, Congress, John Boehner, sequestration
|HNN Hot Topics: Women's History Month |
Tags: feminism, gender, Hot Topics, women, Women's History Month
News at Home
|Senator Cruz, You're No James Madison|
A look at Ted Cruz's Princeton thesis on the Ninth and Tenth Amendments.
Tags: Republican Party, Tea Party, Ted Cruz, The Federalist Papers
|In Defense of Our Do-Nothing Congress|
Blocking the will of the majority is a fundamental feature of the U.S. constitutional system.
Tags: Constitution, John C. Calhoun, minority rights, tyranny of the majority
|Thomas Jefferson's Radical Plan to Avert the Fiscal Cliff|
Cut the military budget, but do it smartly.
Tags: fiscal cliff, sequestration, budget, debt
|His Meaning Was Clear . . .|
Josh Brown's Life During Wartime
Drawing an X on the Voting Rights Act.
Tags: equal rights, Antonin Scalia, Voting Rights Act, civil rights
|Climate Change as History's Deal-Breaker|
Why was the February 17 protest against the Keystone XL Pipeline in D.C. so small?
Tags: climate change, Keystone XL Pipeline, organizing, activism
|“Yellow Peril” Morphs into Chinese Borg|
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Resistance is Fu-tile.
Tags: China, yellow peril, Star Trek, hackers
| U.S. Aid to Syria’s Revolution Could Go to Jihadists|
John Kerry's proposal to give $60 million to the Syrian Opposition Council could backfire horribly.
Tags: Al Qaeda, foreign aid, John Kerry, Syria
Historians & History
|The Strange Saga of Lincoln Assassination Co-Conspirator John Surrat|
David O. Stewart
His mother was hanged for his crimes while he fled to the Vatican.
Tags: John Surrat, John Wilkes Booth, popes, Vatican
|Well Done, Brother Herb Shapiro|
Remembering the distinguished academic and activist Herbert Shapiro.
Tags: in memoriam, scholarship, Herbert Shapiro, obituaries
|Two Chinese on a Mountain...|
...and that's all there is in the disappointing The Dance and the Railroad.
Tags: The Dance and the Railroad, Signatory Theater, Chinese Americans, theater reviews
|Review of Lawrence R. Samuel's The American Dream|
A useful, but profoundly troubling book, written more for personal branding than scholarship.
Tags: Ethical Culture Fieldston School, Lawrence Samuel, Reviews in History (UK), The American Dream
|Review of James M. Banner Jr.'s Being a Historian|
History as a discipline will survive the ongoing seismic changes, but will it survive as a profession?
Tags: Ethical Culture Fieldston School, historiography, history professoriate, James M. Banner
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize