Week of January 21, 2013
|Five Myths about Roe v. Wade|
Roe wasn't a feminist decision.
Tags: abortion, feminism, legal history, Supreme Court
|Missouri GOP Rep.: Japan Didn't Invade U.S. in World War II Because of Armed Populace|
Michelle Bachmann Award for Distinguished Lack of Historical Knowledge
Tags: Jonathan Dresner, gun control, guns, Japan, World War II
|Obama's Second Inaugural Loaded with History|
The speech showcased Obama's keen sense of history.
Tags: Barack Obama, inaugural address, inauguration, presidents
|Inauguration Shows President as Prime Minister and King|
Ira Chernus's MythicAmerica
Examining the ritual behind Obama's second inaugural.
Tags: inauguration, presidents, theater state, Barack Obama
|The History of Inauguration Day|
There have been 44 presidents and 66 inaugurations. Here's the highlights.
Tags: inauguration, Thomas Jefferson, presidents, George Washington
Understanding the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
|Should We Worry About the National Debt?|
It's a concern, but hardly the apocalyptic trigger that some claim.
Tags: debt, debt ceiling, deficits, housing collapse
|Mitch Daniels: Friend or Foe to Academic Freedom?|
The former Indiana governor played politics with historical research to placate Honda.
Tags: Mitch Daniels, Jim Loewen, Indiana, Honda, sundown towns
News at Home
Secularization of America: Is the Latest Pew Poll a Big Deal?
|Will Presidential Term Limits Ever Be Abolished?|
Michael J. Korzi
The case for and against ending term limits
Tags: Barack Obama, FDR, presidents, term limits
Historians & History
comments powered by Disqus
- A Rare Look At JFK's Off-Air Personality
- World War I records reveal myths and realities of soldiers with ‘shell shock’
- Were Neanderthals a sub-species of modern humans? New research says no
- Irish archaeological sites explain huge European population fall
- Reactions to JFK Assassination Included Fear of Possible Soviet Strike against U.S.; Desire to "Bond" with LBJ
- Middle East Studies Association Fights a Rising Tide of Critics
- Juan Cole says the postwar Middle East governments were modeled on the Soviet Union, though not communist (interview)
- Ted Widmer picks the 5 best presidential books worth reading
- AHA backs California's LGBT History law
- Cultural historian traces history of baby food