Benny Avni: In Afghanistan, It's Vietnam Syndrome IIRoundup: Media's Take
Benny Avni is a New York Post op-ed contributor.
The Taliban seem to believe all they need to do now is wait ’til America hightails it out of Afghanistan (coming soon), then take the country back and remake it into the jihadi haven that Allah always intended it to be.
"They want to flee from Afghanistan just as they turned tail and ran from Vietnam," a Taliban statement boasted Wednesday. "When America faced utter destruction in Vietnam, they came up with the formula ‘declare victory and run.’ And [now they] want to utilize the formula of ‘transfer security and run’ here in Afghanistan."
Vietnam, of course, is where America lost its groove. But then we got it back, didn’t we?..
comments powered by Disqus
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- Buried at an Asylum, the ‘Unspoken, Untold History’ of the South
- New Orleans removes monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?
- H.R. McMaster criticized – and not for his defense of Trump
- Yale’s David Blight is asked if New Orleans rewrite its Civil War legacy