Week of October 29, 2012
In the wake of Sandy, a look back at other historic hurricanes, floods, and other natural disasters in American history.
My plea to state and country officials: Let Election Day proceed as normally as possible
From “Who Lost China?” to “Who Lost Libya?”
Those familiar with U.S. foreign policy since the 1940s can hardly avoid drawing comparisons.
Why Obama Will Win This Election
Two words: Republican failures.
High Speed Amtrak: Part II
Amtrak's Quik-Trip from Chicago to St. Louis.
With Apologies to Browning...
The GOP's rape problem.
News at Home
The Framers would be aghast at our electoral politics today.
Presidential “Czars”: A Constitutional Aberration
Obama has appointed more executive branch czars than any other president.
Barack D. Eisenhower
Why Obama is like Ike.
Inside the efforts to drain the San Francisco reservoir.
Face/Off: The Last 2012 Presidential Debate
On foreign policy, the candidates are practically identical.
Don't count on the Pentagon ever changing its first principles.
Why the Only Solution is the Two-State Solution
A one-state solution means the end of a Jewish Israel.
Historians & History
The Importance of Doing Recent History
Navigating a bewildering world of new sources, new media, and information overload.
The Inevitability of the Cold War
Six months in 1945 determined the course of the next half-century.
The Forgotten Los Angeles Race Riot
Interview with Historian Scott Zesch on the Chinatown Massacre of 1871
'Tis the political season on-stage as well as off.
When History Repeats Itself on A Summer's Day
But does anybody really care?
|Carl Van Vechten stand as a beacon of light to those truly committed to grappling with queer and black issues.|
A solid, workmanlike, and inexpensive approach to U.S. history for students.
comments powered by Disqus
- South Dakota drops history as a high school requirement
- The Forgotten History Of 'Violent Displacement' That Helped Create The National Parks
- Gospel of Jesus’ Wife May Be Authentic, New Tests Suggest
- Architect Sought for Obama’s Presidential Library Complex
- 2016 election's leading candidates have strong Jewish family ties
- Ron Radosh plans to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Ken Burns: Donald Trump’s birtherism — a “politer way of saying the ‘N-word'” — proves America isn’t remotely “post-racial”
- Medievalist calls on historians to welcome pop culture