Todd Shaw: A Vehement Mix of Ideological PassionsRoundup: Historians' Take
Todd Shaw is an associate professor of African-American studies and political science at the University of South Carolina.
George Lipsitz’s theory of "possessive investment of whiteness” partly explains why many in the white working class in the South remain strongly anti-Obama and strongly conservative. Given a history of racial discrimination against blacks and other minorities, Lipsitz reasoned that white identity has a “cash value” as accumulated from white advantages in education, occupational attainment, home values and wealth....
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders