Michael Ledeen: The Betrayal of Chen is America's DishonorRoundup: Historians' Take
Michael Ledeen holds a Ph.D. in modern European history and philosophy from the University of Wisconsin, and has taught at Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Rome.
I wonder what the Atrocities Board would say about the dreadful betrayal of freedom in China. Only kidding. This Orwellian institution is surely designed to deal only with old horrors; you know, those during the dark ages of Bushitlercheney. Or even in the days of Obama’s bête blanche, Bill Clinton, about whom the flagrantly hypocritical Samantha Power raged so piously righteous some years back for his failure to save Africans from slaughter. Now that she sits in the White House, she joins the other organizers and activists who abandon those who share our national commitment to freedom, and embrace those tyrants who are crushing it as best they can.
To this grim gallery of rogues we can properly add Hillary, whose relationship with the president will some day entertain future students of the American presidency....
Which brings us back to the blind Mr. Chen, who somehow eluded house arrest and got into the American Embassy in Beijing. One wonders just how that happened, and the tyrants who rule China are no doubt wondering too. It’s hard to imagine that the Obama administration had much to do with Chen’s escape; they don’t give a damn about oppressed freedom fighters and dissidents anywhere, let alone the People’s Republic of China. As with Iran, North Korea, and Syria, Obama wants “good relations,” and such regimes won’t give you any if you insist on raising awkward subjects like freedom and democracy....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't