Brian E. Keeley: Hey SCOTUS, We Already Have a Federal Mandate for Health CareRoundup: Media's Take
Brian E. Keeley is president and CEO of Baptist Health South Florida, a $3.6 billion not-for-profit healthcare organization based in Coral Gables, Fla. with seven hospitals, 30 outpatient centers, and 15,000 employees.
The United States, the richest nation in the world, is the only advanced country without some form of universal health care for all its citizens. And the US now spends around 18 percent of its gross domestic product on health care – the highest percentage in the world....
The best argument to implement universal health care through an individual mandate, other than the national embarrassment that the wealthiest country in the world does not provide basic health care for all its citizens, is that America already provides universal health care – by default. It’s called EMTALA.
The Emergency Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) was passed by Congress in 1986. It essentially requires every hospital with an emergency room to screen and treat all patients who present themselves and require emergency treatment – regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay. This is, in essence, a federal unfunded mandate without a provision for reimbursement.
Many uninsured people simply use the emergency room as an access point for “free” health care. While free to them, the cost of providing care of these so-called “free riders” is shifted to others....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity