Steve Gillon: How Newt Gingrich, the Ultimate Washington Insider, Plays the Part of OutsiderRoundup: Historians' Take
Gillon is the author of “The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich and the Rivalry that Defined a Generation.”
As we approach the critical Florida Republican primary, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has stepped up his attacks on rival Mitt Romney, criticizing the former Massachusetts governor for being too timid and too moderate — and styling himself in contrast as an anti-establishment warrior.
The party establishment has fired back — dredging up reams of old opposition research on Gingrich. Former Sen. Bob Dole, whom Gingrich once dismissed as “the tax collector for the welfare state,” has joined the chorus of party leaders bitterly lambasting Gingrich.
For anyone who knows Gingrich’s history, this fight is both predictable and absurd. Predictable because Gingrich has, throughout his career, always seen and styled himself as a Republican insurgent. Absurd because the very same man has spent decades as the consummate Washington power player.
He talks like an economic populist, but he has a half-million dollar credit line at Tiffany’s. He channels Tea Party-style cultural resentment against “the elites” — yet he’s the veteran Washington hand running against a man who’s spent most of his career in the private sector....
comments powered by Disqus
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich