Jonathan Zimmerman: Newt Gingrich, Pseudo-HistorianRoundup: Historians' Take
Jonathan Zimmerman teaches history and education at New York University. He is the author of "Small Wonder: The Little Red Schoolhouse in History and Memory."
Who knew my profession could be so lucrative?
That was my bemused first reaction to Newt Gingrich admitting that he took $300,000from the mortgage giant Freddie Mac in exchange for his "advice as a historian." Now sources are reporting that his total fee might have been as high as $1.8 million, which is more than some historians will make in a lifetime.
But here's what you need to know about Gingrich: He's not a real historian. Sure, he's got a Ph.D. in the field, and yes, Gingrich has written more than 20 books. But when he left academia for Congress in 1978, he also left behind the most basic canons of our discipline: rigor and humility. Put simply, we're supposed to know what we're talking about. And when we don't, we're supposed to say so.
That's what I learned on my very first day of graduate school, almost a quarter-century ago. The world is infinitely complicated, a professor told us, and we'll only be able to study a very small slice of it. And even when we think we understand that tiny piece, someone else will come along to prove us wrong....
comments powered by Disqus
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich