What Caused the Civil War?Google Questions
Ms. Begum is an HNN intern.
Slavery caused the American Civil War. Of course, it wasn’t the only reason war came, and most soldiers, either Union or Confederate, fought for their own personal reasons, but slavery was ultimately behind the fundamental rift between the states.
Economically, slavery played a significant role in producing wealth in the Southern states. Unlike the Northern states, the Southern states were largely agricultural. They used millions of slaves for manual labor.
For the Northerners, it was a case of slave labor versus free labor. What would happened if “slave power” expanded its grip over the entire nation? They certainly didn't want to find out.
Examining the various acts that were passed before the war also demonstrates the link between slavery and the Civil War.
For example, the Compromise of 1850 consisted of a package of five bills. The most notable was the Fugitive Slave Act. This law required individuals, including judicial officials, to aid in capturing escaped slaves and return them to their owners. The ‘escaped slave’ could be a freedman, but it could rarely be determined because no court trial was needed.
Finally, when President Lincoln was elected, he took steps to abolish the practice of slavery from expanding in the territories. This was the last straw in the Southern states' drive to secession.
And, in any event, the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment rendered the issue moot. The direct consequence of the war was the end of slavery.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history