Victor Davis Hanson: After Obama, the DelugeRoundup: Historians' Take
President Obama established a bipartisan debt-reduction commission — and then ignored its findings, which called for unpopular reductions in entitlements and across-the-board spending cuts. His first two budgets led to the largest deficits in U.S. history. The ensuing $3 trillion in red ink gave rise to the Tea Party movement and led to the largest midterm defeat of the Democratic party in the House of Representatives since 1938.
No matter. The president has proposed a new budget with an even larger $1.6 trillion deficit. That record federal borrowing prompted columnist Charles Krauthammer to describe it as a Louis XV indulgence, an allusion to the wild royal spending that brought about the French Revolution. Even Newsweek editor-at-large Evan Thomas, who once gushed that Obama stood “above the world” as some “sort of God,” called the president’s new budget a “profile in cowardice.” After Obama leaves office, a perfect storm of rising international interest rates, an anemic dollar, and panic on the part of foreign lenders may force an end to this unhinged American rush to borrow and blow what it has not earned.
comments powered by Disqus
Stephen Kislock - 2/27/2011
Detroit is a Great success of the Democrats, People working.
Where as you Mr. Wilson, would like to see Detroit, closed lock stock and barrel.
John a Wilson - 2/27/2011
Where is there any comment about deficit in the rant above? Social Security is very close to insolvent no matter what the writing is on your SS statement every year.
If there is no money as in wealth in this country, there are no benefits. We might feel that the federal government is an ATM perpetually doling out cash like the Obama dollars in Detroit, but there is an end to it all if we are not careful.
Stephen Kislock - 2/26/2011
As one who lives in the Plastic World of "Foxx News" Social Security is Not an Entitlement!
Social Security, is Not an "Entitlement", it's Paid for and you want to give this TRILLIONS of Dollars, to wall street, the Greatest Failure, in the History of the World.
Without the "Bail-Out", wall street, would be Belly Up! You talk about an "Entitlement"!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history