Victor Davis Hanson: After Obama, the DelugeRoundup: Historians' Take
President Obama established a bipartisan debt-reduction commission — and then ignored its findings, which called for unpopular reductions in entitlements and across-the-board spending cuts. His first two budgets led to the largest deficits in U.S. history. The ensuing $3 trillion in red ink gave rise to the Tea Party movement and led to the largest midterm defeat of the Democratic party in the House of Representatives since 1938.
No matter. The president has proposed a new budget with an even larger $1.6 trillion deficit. That record federal borrowing prompted columnist Charles Krauthammer to describe it as a Louis XV indulgence, an allusion to the wild royal spending that brought about the French Revolution. Even Newsweek editor-at-large Evan Thomas, who once gushed that Obama stood “above the world” as some “sort of God,” called the president’s new budget a “profile in cowardice.” After Obama leaves office, a perfect storm of rising international interest rates, an anemic dollar, and panic on the part of foreign lenders may force an end to this unhinged American rush to borrow and blow what it has not earned.
comments powered by Disqus
Stephen Kislock - 2/27/2011
Detroit is a Great success of the Democrats, People working.
Where as you Mr. Wilson, would like to see Detroit, closed lock stock and barrel.
John a Wilson - 2/27/2011
Where is there any comment about deficit in the rant above? Social Security is very close to insolvent no matter what the writing is on your SS statement every year.
If there is no money as in wealth in this country, there are no benefits. We might feel that the federal government is an ATM perpetually doling out cash like the Obama dollars in Detroit, but there is an end to it all if we are not careful.
Stephen Kislock - 2/26/2011
As one who lives in the Plastic World of "Foxx News" Social Security is Not an Entitlement!
Social Security, is Not an "Entitlement", it's Paid for and you want to give this TRILLIONS of Dollars, to wall street, the Greatest Failure, in the History of the World.
Without the "Bail-Out", wall street, would be Belly Up! You talk about an "Entitlement"!
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize