Victor Davis Hanson: Julian Assange’s EgoLeaksRoundup: Historians' Take
Julian Assange, the public face of WikiLeaks, is, among many things, cowardly. Courageousness would involve meeting with Iranian dissidents, Russian journalists, Pakistani Christians, or Chinese human-rights activists — and then releasing any confidential information that they might have about the torment institutionalized by their countries’ authoritarian regimes. That would be risky to Assange, however, since such governments do not customarily go to court against their leakers; they gulag them — or liquidate them.
So, instead, Assange navigates through the European northwest among the good-life elites whose economic and security protocols he does so much to undermine. Being summoned to a trumped-up Swedish hearing for being an exploitative cad who fails to wear a condom in his ephemeral hook-ups is not the same thing as being dragged into the basement of the Pakistani intelligence service or appearing in an orange jumpsuit on an al-Qaeda execution video. Why does not the peripatetic Assange at least drive about, say, the back roads of the Middle East, Mexico, or Central Africa in his quest for conduits to spread cosmic truth and justice?...
comments powered by Disqus
Arnold Shcherban - 12/31/2010
US, well-known Pan-American mainstream-media commentator, "senior fellow" such as Mr. Hanson, who operates under the cover of the First Amendment, and of all American establishment or self-made investigative journalist who shows imperial ("evil empire"?)dirty laundry
(such as war crimes and "intellectual autism" of its diplomats) despite the easily foreseen retaliation of the world's only superpower and its bribed allies?
I think the answer is in the question.
Stephen Kislock - 12/11/2010
How about the United States helping with the Coup in Honduras, because Zelaya was going to raise wages by.60 cents.
OK professor, where were you on this subject and did you confront Secretary Clinton on this sad action?
Before throwing stones, look in the mirror, if you can stand the sight.
- Carly Fiorina Says Knowledge of Medieval History Will Help Her Defeat ISIS
- FOIA Documents Reveal Agent Orange Dioxin, Toxic Dumps, Fish Kills on Okinawa Base
- Scientists Hope to Learn How Pompeians Lived, Before the Big Day
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October