HNN Hot Topics: The Tea Party Movementtags: Tea Party
Is There Intelligent Life Among Republicans?
Conservative leaders say the GOP must not become the "stupid party." How's that going?
OCTOBER 21, 2013
The Tea Party Luddites
Like the Luddites, the Tea Party is raging against inevitable change.
Tea Party Wants to Take America Back to the Eighteenth Century
Their ultimate destination is the 1780s and our dysfunctional government under the Articles of Confederation.
Tea Party Tactics Lead Straight Back to Secession
Forget the Confederacy -- look the nullification crisis for a way out of this mess.
Even Richard Hofstadter Would Be Amazed by Tea Party Extremism
How the paranoid style in American politics has shut down the government.
The Tea Party Isn't Conservative
It's got more in common with the John Birch Society than mainstream Republicans
Senator Cruz, You're No James Madison
Ted Cruz titled his senior thesis after Madison's Federalist No. 51. But the founder would be aghast at what Cruz is doing to his legacy.
Commentary (to December 2010)
- Lara Brown: The Tea Partiers and the Lessons of History
- Kevin R. Kosar: What the Tea Party Could Learn from the Whiskey Rebellion
- Todd Zywicki: Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment
- Julian E. Zelizer: GOP Leaders, Beware the Newcomers
- Nils August Andresen: Why America’s Top Students Tune Out the GOP
- Sean Wilentz: Live by the Movement, Die by the Movement
- Colin Gordon: More Effective Government Would Neutralize Tea Party
- Robert Dallek: The Long View of the Tea Party
- Alan Brinkley: Obama vs. Tea Party: Think FDR vs. Huey Long
- Julian E. Zelizer: It's Tea Party vs. Bush and Obama
- Edmund Morris: The Tea Party Last Time
- Harold Meyerson: When Tea Party Wants to Go Back, Where Is It To?
- Stanley Kutler: Tea Party Robber Barons
- Sam Hitchmough: The Rise of the Tea Party: Competing Americas
- Andrew Romano: How Tea Partiers Get the Constitution Wrong
- Godfrey Hodgson: America’s mad-hatter politics
- Jill Lepore: Who Started the Tea Party?
- Peter Berkowitz: Why Liberals Don't Get the Tea Party Movement
- Vladimir Shlapentokh: How is Elitist Ayn Rand a Tea Party Hero?
- Omer Bartov: The Tea Party and Himmler's Black Legion
- Robert Reich: Reading America's Tea Leaves
- Sean Wilentz: The Tea Party’s Cold War Roots
- Julian E. Zelizer: Why Christine O'Donnell is Not You
- Daniel Hannan: Why Europeans Can't Throw a Tea Party
- Richard Striner: The Mad Hatter's Tea Party
- Kevin Drum: Tea Party: Old Whine in New Bottles
- Steve Kornacki: Jimmy Carter's Tea Party
- Jimmy Carter: The 1970s Saw a Tea Party-Like Wave
- Jim Bencivenga: Tea Party is Rejuvenating American Politics
- Ron Chernow: The Founding Fathers Versus the Tea Party
- Tim Rutten: The GOP/'Tea' Party Radicalism
- E.J. Dionne Jr.: The Historian's Take on the Tea Party and the Media
- Michael Lind: The Right Picked the Wrong Historical Analogy
- Jacob Weisberg: The Tea Party's Anarchist Streak
- Julian E. Zelizer: Tea Party Promises Won't Last
- Josh Burek: Political Activism for the Rest of Us?
- Nikolas K. Gvosdev: Tea Party Will Have Jacksonian Foreign Policy
- Michael Tomasky: The Republicans Have Created a Frankenstein Monster
- Paul Goldman: Has Sarah Palin Saved the GOP?
- Elwood Watson: The Season of Racial Discontent
- Michael Lind: The War Socialism of the American Right
- Joan Walsh: When Blue-Collar Pride Became Identity Politics
- Ron Briley: Glenn Beck’s History Lesson: Amnesia and Conformity
- John J. Pitney Jr.: The GOP and the Temptation of Hubris
- Ariela Gross: Race, Law and Conservatism in America
- Andrew Leonard: Lyndon Johnson's Tea Party
- Julian E. Zelizer: Why Obama's Fate is Tied to Congressional Democrats
- Mark Tooley: Was the American Revolution Just?
- Jerry Adler: Why Some Republicans Want to ‘Restore’ the 13th Amendment
- Doug Kendall: Strange Brew: The Tea Party Mocks the Founders' Stance on Armed Rebellion
- Ari Rabin-Havt : The Willie Hortonization of Barack Obama
- Eugene Robinson: The Tea Party Must Purge Racism from its Ranks
- Matt Bai: Beneath Divides Seemingly About Race Are Generational Fault Lines
- Joel Richard Paul: Which Tea Party?
- E.J. Dionne Jr.: What the NAACP is Really Asking on Racism Within the Tea Party
- David Beito: The Tea Party Movement and Gay Marriage
- Julian E. Zelizer: Sarah Palin Likes Government Too
- Robert McHenry: The Radical Right in Retrospect
- Sasha Abramsky: Look Ahead in Anger
- Ruth Rosen: The Tea Party and the New Right-Wing Christian Feminism
Commentary (to July 2010)
- Van Gosse: Thank You, Rand Paul (From a Historian)
- Jason Zengerle: The Roots of Rand Paul’s Radicalism
- Sherrilyn A. Ifill: Disturbing Lessons of the Rand Paul Fallout
- Kenneth W. Mack: Rethinking the Rand Paul Controversy
- Garrett Epps: Rand Paul's American Mistake: Taking 'New' for 'Unconstitutional'
- Mary L. Dudziak: Rand Paul's Constitutional Confusion
- Joseph A. Palermo: Glenn Beck: “Historian” For a Troubled America
- Nicole Hemmer: Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck are Not Guilty of Sedition -- But Over-the-Top 'Tea-Party' Rhetoric Doesn’t Help
The Tea Party & the American Revolution
- Mark Lilla: The Tea Party Jacobins
- Jill Lepore: Who Owns the American Revolution?
- T.H. Breen: Are Tea Party Protests Really Modeled on the American Revolution?
- Jim Sleeper: How the Modern Day Tea Partiers Missed the Message of 1773
- Gregory Rodriguez: America's Distrust of Government Started with George III
The Seventeenth Amendment
- Byron W. Daynes: Leave the Seventeenth Amendment Alone!
- Elizabeth Wydra: A Sober Look at Proposals to Repeal Portions of the Constitution
- David Firestone: So You Still Want to Choose Your Senator?
- Patrick Allitt: How to Succeed in Politics
- Stanley Kutler: It's Still All About Race
- Ruth Marcus: Unhinged on the Right
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Palin's Play of the Obama as Hitler Card Was Inevitable
- Matthew Continetti: The Two Faces of the Tea Party
- Randall Stephens: The Past is No Foreign Country
- Eleanor Clift: What Would the Tea Party Do?
- Joshua Horwitz:"Second Amendment Remedies"
- E.J. Dionne Jr.: How Obama Changed the Right
- Lee Harris: The Tea Party vs. the Intellectuals
- Doug Kendall & Hannah McCrea: The Tea Party Ought to Remember the Whiskey Rebellion
- Kevin R. Kosar: The Anger is Real; the Media Picture Isn't
- Timothy Egan: Backward, Into The Future
- John Sides: A Rebuttal to Mark Lilla on the Origins of the Tea Party
- Nicolaus Mills: Conservative Split with the Tea Party
- William Voegeli: The Meaning of the Tea Party
- Jeff Shesol: Populist Interest in the Constitution is Nothing New
- Fred Siegel: Insatiable Liberalism
- Cord Jefferson: Is the Tea Party the New Black Panther Party?
- The American History Guys: Teed Off: The Tea Party, Then and Now [audio, 25 minutes 52 seconds]
- Tim Rutten: Newt's Tea Party
- Charles Postel: The Tea Party and the Dark Side of Conservatism
- Arun Gupta: Republicans and the Tea Party of No
- Charles L. Zelden: New Political Movements Seek a Hold on U.S. Politics
- Steve Fraser and Joshua B. Freeman: History's Mad Hatters: The Strange Career of Tea Party Populism
- Peggy Noonan: The Big Alienation Between the Government and the People
- Elwood Watson: Ugly Resistance Against the President Continues
- Bernard Weiner: Rage and Rebellion: How Will the Left Respond?
- Erik Christiansen and Jeremy Sullivan: The Tea Party Challenge to History
- Ron Rosenbaum: The Tea Party's Toxic Take on History
- Jonah Goldberg: Tea Parties a Delayed Bush Backlash
- Historians weigh in on the Tea Party in the NYT
- Alan Brinkley: The [Tea] Party of Me
- Rick Perlstein: The Same Old Grievances from the Tea Party
- Fred Schwarz: Tea Parties Old and New
- Charles Lane: The Tea Party, and a History of Going to Extremes
- Julian Zelizer: Risk for GOP Comes from Extreme Fringe
- Colbert I. King: In the Faces of Tea Party Shouters, Images of Hate and History
- Stanley Kutler: So Much for a ‘Post-Racial’ America
- Jesse Lemisch: Invoking"Sedition" Against Tea Partiers is Short-Sighted, Ahistorical, and Suicidal
- E.J. Dionne: Back to the 1830s ... Health Care and the New Nullifiers
- Jonah Goldberg: The Truth About the Tea Party
- Michael Barone: Tea Party Brings Energy, Change and Tumult to GOP
- Louise W. Knight: The Tea Party Movement Has Deep American Roots
- Alexander Zaitchik: Where Did David Brooks Get the Bizarre Idea That the Tea Party Crowd Resembles '60s Movements?
- Gabriel Winant: Why Does David Brooks Hate the Tea Partiers?
- David Brooks: Tea Partiers are the Wal-Mart Hippies
- Charles Postel: The Real Populist Tradition in America
- Walter Russell Mead: Drinking Tea in America Today
- Jason Capehart: A Scary Tea Party Looks Like Right-Wing Extremists in the 1990s
- Gail Collins: Time to Party Like It’s 1854
- Robert Zaretsky: France's Tea Party Movement in the 1950s
comments powered by Disqus
- New Churchill Museum director shares vision
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome