Who Invented Memorial Day? By Jim Downs (5-28-12) It's Time for a National World War I Memorial By Julian Saltman (5-28-12) At Last, Honor for Albert Wedemeyer, a Great American Soldier By Thomas Fleming (5-28-12) How to Forget on Memorial Day By Tom Engelhardt (5-28-12) Birthplace of Memorial Day? (NYT 5-27-12) This Memorial Day, a Modest Plea for More Honest Military Recruiting Ads by William Astore (6-1-10) A Vanishing American Remembrance? by Ed Hooper (5-31-10) A Salute to the Generosity of Our Soldiers by William Lambers (5-30-10) Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust (5-23-09) Drew Gilpin Faust Interviewed About the History of Death and Mourning [Podcast] by Backstoryradio (5-22-09) Dear President Obama: Please Don't Honor the Arlington Confederate Monument by Edward Sebesta and James Loewen (5-20-09) Mystic Chords of Memory ... The purpose of Memorial Day by Mackubin Thomas Owens (5-26-08) Memorial Day, the Great War, and America’s Last Surviving World War I Veteran by Jeffrey S. Reznick (5-20-08) Caroline Janney says we need to rewrite history of Memorial Day (5-20-08) Memorial Day ain't what it used to be by Peter Collier (5-26-07) John McCain picks his top 5 books about soldiers (5-26-07) Memorial Day: A Day for Remembering -- and Accepting Responsibility by Todd DePastino (5-20-07) Bush Invokes the Fallen, Past and Present (5-30-06) Memorial proposed to honor all victims of war (5-23-06) Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong With the Statues of Monumental Washington by Paul Richard (5-28-06) What Do You Do with Dead Soldiers? by Michael Sledge (1-30-06) What Are the Origins of Memorial Day? by HNN Staff (6-2-05) "From These Honored Dead:" Memorial Day and Veterans Day in American History by Kenneth Jackson (6-1-05) Did the WW II Memorial Makers Slight God? By Ed Pompeian (12-15-04) What We Really Need to Remember on Memorial Day by Martin Halpern (5-24-04) The Truth About the War Memorial to Fallen Journalists by Timothy J. Reese (10-6-03) Memorial Day 2003: Through a Vietnam Lens by Christian G. Appy (5-26-03) Southern men hid behind the skirts of women to honor their dead -- Interview with historian Caroline E. Janney (5-20-14) When You Think of Memorial Day, Do You Think of Just Men? by Kara Dixon Vuic (5-25-14) Remembering My Parents on Memorial Day – The Forgotten Few by Jonathan Husband (5-25-14)
comments powered by Disqus
Memorial Daytags: Hot Topics, veterans, Civil War, Memorial Day, holidays
Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetary. Credit: Flickr.
comments powered by Disqus
- Roman Gladiators ate a mostly vegetarian diet and drank a tonic of ashes after training
- Massachusetts is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the wedding of John and Abigail Adams
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- 2 conservative groups are leading the fight against the new AP standards
- The secret of successful history departments
- AHA president suggests older historians should consider making way for younger historians
- Niall Ferguson Joins Schwarzman Scholars as Distinguished Visiting Professor in China
- Francis Fukuyama is still bullish on where history is headed, but Americans should worry: republics can decay.