Johnp Perazzo: Obama Joker vs. Bush Joker
Though the identity of the Photoshop artist is unknown to anyone, the Christian Science Monitor concludes, disapprovingly, that "a conservative graffiti artist" is the culprit. Adds the Monitor: "Now, digitized copies of the portraits have gone viral, spiraling across Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr. Predictably, the right-wing blogosphere is bursting at the seams with glee."
Even more predictably, leftists have begun to complain that the portrait is racist. According to Bedlam Magazine, for instance: "The Joker white-face imposed on Obama’s visage has a sort of malicious, racist, Jim Crow quailty to it." The good folks at L.A. Weekly, meanwhile, tell us that the portrait "has a bit of everything to appeal to the drunk tank of California conservatism: Obama is in white face, his mouth (like Ledger’s Joker's) has been grotesquely slit wide open and the word ‘Socialism’ appears below his face. The only thing missing is a noose."
As Matthew Vadum has already noted in NewsReal, in 2004 the very same L.A. Weekly ran this picture depicting President George W. Bush as Dracula, his mouth dripping with the blood of innocents from around the world:
Then there was this classic published by The Village Voice in October of that same year, showing Bush as a vampire sucking the blood of Liberty from the metaphorical neck of our nation:
And just 13 months ago, Vanity Fair depicted Bush as none other than, voila, the Joker! With no chorus of complaints from the Left!
Notably, these caricatures of Bush appeared neither on solitary highway stanchions nor on the walls of buildings in vacant lots, but rather in major publications of the political and social Left. This is to say nothing of the many published cartoons that routinely depicted Bush as a primate. One September 2007 Huffington Post story, in fact, actually bore the title, "New Scientific Study Reveals Bush Is a Chimp."
What would be the Left's reaction if a conservative were to make a similar assertion about Obama?
Bush was also commonly caricatured by the Left as Adolph Hitler. The anti-war demonstrations of 2002-2004 — led by such Marxist "peace" coalitions as International ANSWER (a front group for the Marxist-Leninist Workers World Party) and United For Peace and Justice (led by the pro-Castro communist Leslie Cagan) — featured multitudes of banners and placards depicting Bush as the Nazi Führer...
comments powered by Disqus
Daniel Pedroso - 8/10/2009
Usually when a leader of a nation invades a country based on falsehoods, similar to Hitler's invasion of Poland, a fair descriptive similarity to Hitler can be made. In April, 2001, prior to 9/11, Vice President Cheney Energy Task Force discussed how to divide up Iraq’s oil fields (1). Hitler tortured innocent civilians, and children, the same as Bush (2). Hitler concentrated power in the executive branch of government; Bush to a lesser degree did the same by violating over 750 laws (3). Similarities in between Hitler’s war crimes and Bush’s war crimes can be made. One can argue that Bush did not torture, kill as many civilians as Hitler. One can argue that Bush did not violate as many national laws as Hitler. But one cannot argue that Bush did not commit war crimes, like Hitler.
- New documentary explores the legacy of the 5,000 Rosenwald schools set up by a Sears magnate and Booker T. Washington
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- Two scholars from UT object to the Texas school's decision to remove the statue of Jefferson Davis
- A history professor explains why Americans are so prone to conspiracy theories
- Now Greg Grandin has come out with a study of Henry Kissinger
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'