Spammers Hit HNN
The article the spammers sent? An HNN breaking news bulletin from September 23 about spammers who had inundated the mailboxes of the Campus Watch professors with up to 1,400 unwanted emails a day.
The hackers have not identified themselves as members of any group and have not explained what their goal is. We do not know their identity. We do not know if they are the people who were behind the spamming of the Campus Watch professors. Nor do we know why they spammed the people they did. A spot check of the addresses of the people receiving the emails indicates that two broad groups seem to have been targeted: white racists and Middle Eastern/Arab/Palestinians. Many belong to Yahoo groups.
George Mason University is investigating the source of the emails. New security measures are being taken to safeguard the HNN site from a future hack attack. Until those measures are put in place the email service that had been taken over has been temporarily disabled.
comments powered by Disqus
Orson Olson - 10/13/2002
...SIMMER down, boys and girls.
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Where Mud Is Archaeological Gold, Russian History Grew on Trees
- Conflict Uncovers a Ukrainian Identity Crisis Over Deep Russian Roots
- Highlights of the recent Oral History Association Meeting
- Rick Perlstein response to Sam Tanenhaus's complaint that he's an aggregator
- Thai historian faces charges for daring to challenge a story about a royal king
- It's Rick Perlstein vs. Judith Stein in a Three Round Fight
- Park Honan, a Biographer of Authors, Is Dead at 86