SOURCE: Bloomberg CityLab
Preservationists Want to Save Penn Station. Yes, That Penn Station.
by Kriston Capps
The one thing every New Yorker can agree on is that Penn Station is terrible. Why is this benighted hellhole being championed for historic preservation?
Video of the Week: "Citizen Jane: Battle for the City”
A film about the battle between Jane Jacobs and Robert Moses
Why Jane Jacobs Matters Now
by Peter L. Laurence
The answer is in her last book, which almost no one reads or remembers. But her biographer thinks it’s the one we need now.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of