SOURCE: The Conversation
by James Dawes
"Imagine a world in which militaries, insurgent groups and international and domestic terrorists can deploy theoretically unlimited lethal force at theoretically zero risk at times and places of their choosing, with no resulting legal accountability."
SOURCE: Public Books
by Erin McElroy, Meredith Whittaker and Nicole E. Weber
Landlords have combined technologies developed for screening tenants in the 1970s with more recent digital surveillance and facial recognition systems developed in prisons to dramatically increase control over their tenants during an affordable housing crisis.
SOURCE: War on the Rocks
by Rebecca Slayton
Machines have been taking over tasks that otherwise require human intelligence for decades, if not centuries.
SOURCE: Press Release: Queen Mary University of London
Queen Mary University of London is leading a major new research project, Living with Machines, which is set to be one of the biggest and most ambitious humanities and science research initiatives ever to launch in the UK.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Is technology bringing history to life or distorting it?
SOURCE: AHA Today
by Dane Kennedy
Louis Hyman says the nature of the changes being wrought by innovation are unprecedented.
SOURCE: USA Today
Elon Musk isn't the only high-profile figure concerned about the rise of artificial intelligence.
SOURCE: Science World Report
In the novel, "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow,” the historian warns that Artificial Intelligence will lead to a future class of useless humans.
SOURCE: Business Insider
After its last AI chatbot turned into a genocide-advocating, misogynistic, holocaust-denying racist, the company's latest project — a bot that tells you what's in photos — refuses to even look at photos of Adolf Hitler.
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Is the Academy's New Museum Neglecting the Jewish Pioneers of Hollywood?
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time
- Must We Unite Around Slaveholders? Woody Holton and Jamelle Bouie on the Politics of History