Originally published 03/24/2016
Historian Pamela D. Toler provides historical context for the PBS series in her new book "Heroines of Mercy Street: The Real Nurses of the Civil War."
Originally published 01/21/2016
Filmmaker and executive producer Lisa Wolfing explains what it was like to create a show for PBS about the nurses and doctors who served at a Union hospital during the Civil War.
Originally published 01/20/2016
Kevin M. Levin
It’s the Civil War as the people who lived through it experienced it. And it’s superb.
- What Happened to the Plan to Put Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill?
- What Does Invoking The 25th Amendment Actually Look Like?
- Paul Allen’s team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943
- Israel Celebrates Its 70th Israeli Style: With Rancor and Bickering
- ‘One last time’: Barbara Bush had already faced a death more painful than her own
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad
- 2018 Pulitzers in History, Biography and Nonfiction Go to ...