SOURCE: New York Times
Philippe Pétain's Legacy Haunts the Island Where He's Buried
The current French history wars have drawn battle lines over whether Pétain's service in the first world war or his collaboration during the second should be remembered.
A Legend of Innocence
by Daniel Solomon
Both the French left and right are impeding the teaching of how 75,000 French Jews were turned over to the Nazis.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
A Jewish Writer Kept a Secret Diary During the Nazi Occupation of France
by David Ball
It Offers an Important Lesson About History
Vichy Yearns to Shed Heavy Yoke of Past Shame
Ghosts of the dark years linger in what was once the collaborationist capital, though historians note the government was to blame, not the city.
- O'Mara: Politics and Commercial Pressure, not ChatGPT, are the Threats
- Why are the Dems Denying DC Self-Government?
- Anastasia Curwood on Shirley Chisholm's Childhood Heroes
- After Studying Housing Discrimination, This Historian is Fighting it in Court
- How Textbook Publishers are Censoring the Story of Rosa Parks to Sell Books in Florida