Brexit and European War Mark Another Chapter in the Saga of Reinventing Britishness
by Dominic Selwood
The good news for Brits struggling with national identity in the wake of Brexit and under the threat of war? Britishness has been a constantly negotiated and evolving idea for centuries.
This Is How Europe Came to Dominate the World by the 20th Century
by Philip T. Hoffman
There’s a lesson in this we should keep in mind as we resist the onslaught of ISIS.
The Wrong Way to Think About Imperial Empires
by Antoinette Burton
Empire’s rise and fall is a very seductive story. It’s way too simple.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of