Originally published 03/18/2018
The painting, by Grant Wood, is a triumph. The tragedy is that he is only known for that work. A new exhibit at the Whitney may change that.
Originally published 07/08/2015
As the Confederate flag debate shows, museums are not just attic storage, but battlefields of history.
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history
- "Multiple Steves and Pauls": A History Panel Sets Off a Diversity Firestorm
- University of Washington Dean defends the liberal arts degree on economic grounds
- David S. Wyman, author of "The Abandonment of the Jews," has died at age 89
- Jon Meacham finds new meaning in the Age of Trump in Barbara Tuchman’s work on “The March of Folly”