pledge of allegiance
Originally published 11/03/2017
Requiring displays of patriotism have often been tied to nativism and bigotry.
Originally published 09/07/2016
Donald Trump’s vision of America clashes sharply with the original intent behind the Pledge of Allegiance, penned during the Gilded Age to promote equity, tolerance, and progressive ideals.
Originally published 07/06/2016
Historian Gerald Horne says the resolute insistence upon the Pledge of Allegiance plays into a racist narrative
The narrative is based on the collective denial that the American Republic was founded on the enslavement of people of African descent along with the expropriation of the land and property of the Native Americans, he said in an interview.
Originally published 12/09/2014
Historian Charles Angeletti says he uses the pledge to get students thinking.
Originally published 07/01/2006
Nothing seems more natural to an American than to venerate the patriotic symbols that represent America. But we didn't always.
Originally published 07/09/2002
Peter Dreier and Dick Flacks
The liberal origins of many all-American patriotic rituals.
- At Summit Meetings, Kremlin Often Tried to Steamroller U.S. Presidents
- How A Tariff Loving Utah Senator Became A Cautionary Tale About Protectionism
- Pompeii excavation project reveals secrets
- In Ireland, Drought and a Drone Revealed the Outline of an Ancient Henge
- Sarcophagus Found. Contents Unknown. (‘No Guessing, Please.’)
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie
- Partisans assail historians for judging the past by today’s standards. Here’s why they’re wrong, says classicist