Putin is Carrying on Stalin's War on Self-Determination
by Uriel Abulof
Before Woodrow Wilson, Lenin advanced the ideal of national self-determination as part of communist revolution. Stalin made the term a cynical tool of Russian imperialism, a move Putin's approach to Ukraine emulates.
The GOP’s Bolshevik Moment
by Fred Kaplan
Alexander Kerensky's tenure as Russia's only prime minister between the overthrow of the Czar and the Bolshevik takeover was cut short in part because he viewed Lenin as an ally against his monarchist enemies. Republican Party leaders risk the same fate if they accept the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene as allies against Joe Biden.
The Lenin Plot: The Concealed History of The US-Led Effort to Overthrow the USSR
by Barnes Carr
"The Lenin Plot was a massive embarrassment for the Allies, and they tried to cover it up. The denial continued for years."
SOURCE: The Washington Post
100 years later, Bolshevism is back
by Anne Applebaum
And we should be worried.
October Revolution: Russia's Communists Warn of Riots If Lenin Is Buried, Kadyrov Demands Apology
For almost a century, the revolutionary’s body has laid embalmed in a mausoleum on Moscow’s Red Square, splitting opinion from the outset.
The Anarchist Who Stood Up to Lenin and the Bolshevik Coup of October 1917
by Sergey V. Saytanov
His name was Peter Kropotkin. We should remember him.
SOURCE: NYT Book Review
NYT lauds newest biography of Stalin. It's by Stephen Kotkin.
Kotkin's new study depicts Stalin as an autodidact, an astute thinker, “a people person” with “surpassing organizational abilities; a mammoth appetite for work; a strategic mind and an unscrupulousness that recalled his master teacher, Lenin."
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of