Department of Homeland Security
The Other Pentagon (We Don't Think About)
by Andrea Mazzarino
The creation of DHS in the wake of the 9/11 attacks was a profound reorganization of the government that created a prodigiously-funded "security" apparatus that views threats to Americans through the dangerous lens of "insiders" vs. "outsiders".
SOURCE: Washington Post
New York Times, CNN Sullied By ‘Anonymous’ Charade
by Eric Wemple
Post media critic Eric Wemple says the media allowed "Anonymous" to float the belief that responsible public servants were checking the worst impulses of the Trump administration when, in fact, they accomplished nothing of the sort.
SOURCE: The Intercept
Homeland Security Wants to Erase its History of Misconduct
U.S. Customs and Border Protection wants to destroy thousands of complaint records it claims have no historical value.
SOURCE: USA Today
A 'Very Dark History': Oregon's Racist Past Fuels Ongoing Protests Against Injustice In Portland
Christopher McKnight Nichols, who teaches history at Oregon State University and splits time between the school’s base in Corvallis and Portland, said the long trail of discrimination in Oregon informed the protests in a liberal city long known for its activism.
- House Hearings on Campus Speech Show Different Perceptions of the Problem
- Mark Russell, DC's Piano-Playing Political Satirist, Dies at 90
- Trans Texans, Fearing Violence Inspired by Legislation and Rhetoric, Look to Armed Self-Defense
- How Paris Kicked out the Cars
- Vatican Repudiates "Doctrine of Discovery" that Justified Colonialism by Catholic Nations