Originally published 08/18/2016
Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
He estimates that between 9,000 and 16,000 Indians were killed by vigilantes, state militiamen and federal soldiers between 1846 and 1873, mainly a result of the Gold Rush.
Originally published 08/12/2015
What a few weeks difference may have made.
Originally published 08/01/2014
The fascinating story of the Gold Rush and how it challenged American assumptions about life, work and glory.
- Poland puts Berlin's WWII bill at 440 billion euros
- The five Sullivan brothers, serving together, were killed in World War II. Their ship was just found.
- Historian H.R. McMaster out, John Bolton is in
- Polish attorney general’s office calls Holocaust law unconstitutional
- Will Trump break American democracy?
- Last Fall This Scholar Defended Colonialism. Now He’s Defending Himself.
- Jim Loewen is helping teachers teach difficult historical topics tied to race relations
- Historian (and US Senator) Ben Sasse writing book on polarization
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism