Originally published 07/13/2013
Michael Katz has been elected to the American Philosophical Society. He is the Walter H. Annenberg professor of history and a research associate at the Population Studies Center at the University of Pennsylvania. Election to the APS recognizes accomplishments in math and physical sciences, biological sciences, social sciences, humanities and the arts and various professions and recognizes leaders in public and private affairs....
Originally published 01/22/2013
In his 94 years, historian and civil rights activist Timuel Black never had a week like this."This has been a busy week for me. I was honored Friday (Jan. 18) with the Champion of Freedom Award at city's Annual Interfaith Breakfast with Mayor Rahm Emanuel, and today (Jan. 19) I am being given my very own street," Black said as he fought back tears. "It is always good to be given your 'roses' while you can smell them. And seeing all these people here today smells so good."A crowd of about 100 people gathered Saturday at the intersection of 50th and State streets as Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd) unveiled the honorary Dr. Timuel Black St. sign....
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 19340s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency