SOURCE: Washington Post
It's Not the First Time Conservatives Have Feuded With Disney over LGBTQ Issues
Despite the volume of threats to boycott, Disney has seen little damage from previous controversies like the Southern Baptist Convention's 1997 boycott over Ellen DeGeneris, theme park "Gay Days" and health benefits for same-sex partners.
Disney Controversy Puts Right-Wing Children's Entertainment Industry in Spotlight
by Nicole Hemmer
A growing array of conservative children’s literature and programming coincides with right-wing attacks on schools and children’s entertainment that conservatives claim are sites of political and sexual indoctrination.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Making a More Inclusive Disney Means Pushing Back Against the Park's History
by Eric Avila
Complaints about "wokeness" at Disney theme parks ignore the way that the parks' designs reflected Walt Disney's conservatism and a hierarchical view of human civilizations.
SOURCE: Washington Post
The white nostalgia fueling the ‘Little Mermaid’ backlash
by Brooke Newman
The uproar over a black Ariel shows how important representation in children’s entertainment is.
Trump is so controversial Disney reportedly won’t let him have a speaking role in the Hall of Presidents
To side-step controversy Disney is revamping the exhibit. Now only GW and Lincoln will speak.
Turning the Movies of the Past into Concert Hits of the Present
by Bruce Chadwick
The combination of historic movies and orchestral music is a surefire hit and we are bound to see more of them around the country.
SOURCE: The Root
Backlash to Disney announcement it’s making a movie about a white father in 2014 who claimed a kingdom in Africa on behalf of his daughter, his "princess"
Critics say the story is a celebration of colonialism
SOURCE: New Republic
Americans Think Africa Is One Big Wild Animal Reserve
by Jonathan Zimmerman
Most actual Africans don’t come any closer to wildlife than Westerners do, but it's not what Westerners think.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History