SOURCE: The Atlantic
Law Profs: First Amendment Hurdles to Trump Prosecution Real, Not Insurmountable
by Alan Z. Rozenshtein and Jed Shugerman
The defense that Trump's speech about a stolen election, even if deliberately untruthful, constitutes protected political speech is plausible, but prosecutors can situate the remarks in the context of other actions to overturn the election.
SOURCE: Washington Post
The Presidents and Ex-Presidents who have been Subpoenaed Before Trump
by Gillian Brockell
While a Congressional subpoena delivered to a president is unusual, it's not unprecedented. But the past is little guide to how Donald Trump will respond to a call to appear before the January 6th committee.
Trump’s Involvement in the January 6 Conspiracy Is Easy to Prove
by James D. Zirin
A veteran prosecutor explains that the legal standards for conspiracy put Trump in the crosshairs. Whether he faces consequences for the attempted coup, however, is a question of politics.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
The Deep State Conspiracy Is About to Go Into Overdrive
by Ronald Radosh
The American right has advanced nutty conspiracy theories for decades. But the one we’re about to see play out will make Joe McCarthy look like an amateur.
Trump uses IG report to spread 'deep state' conspiracy
by Julian Zelizer
Trump has done more than anyone else to bring the fringe conspiracy concept of a "deep state" into the mainstream, with the help of his son Donald Jr.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
The Untold Miracle of Lincoln’s Last Day on Earth
by Michael Daly
One hundred fifty years ago to the day, the president welcomed a hungry, desperate soldier’s wife into the White House. Seven hours later, he would be assassinated.
For a Biography of John Wilkes Booth, Terry Alford Turns to Amateur Researchers
Mr. Alford’s book, published by Oxford University Press, is already being hailed as an important contribution, with the Lincoln scholar Harold Holzer praising it as “so deeply researched and persuasively argued that it should stand as the standard portrait for years.”
Lincoln’s Assassination – and Caesar’s
by Barry Strauss
Both Lincoln and his assassin misread the lessons of history.
America’s conspiracy mania: Why Ebola and 9/11 truthers reflect a tortured history
by Jonathan Zimmerman
From 9/11 to McCarthyism, we have a long history of conspiracy theories -- and government acts have encouraged them.
SOURCE: Rasmussen Reports
Have We Got A Conspiracy for You - 9/11? JFK? Obama's Citizenship?
On a list of some of the world’s best-known conspiracy theories, Americans are most likely to believe the one about JFK‘s assassination.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"