Originally published 06/27/2017
Somebody slapped the wrong title on Hugh Kennedy’s political history of Islam from Muhammad to the Ottomans.
Originally published 03/20/2017
The answer is surprisingly obscure, as most of their attacks do not include clear demands.
Originally published 09/07/2014
This Is What Happened to the Last Person Who Claimed the Caliphate. It Didn't End Well for Him. There’s a Lesson in that.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi will be no more successful in winning the support of the Muslim world than Husayn of Mecca, the last person to claim the caliph's mantle.
Originally published 08/25/2014
"Declaring the caliphate on June 29 was a major event; and the caliphate is an institution whose time has long passed and, therefore, whose revival bodes much trauma."
Originally published 07/14/2014
Gil J. stein
"We at the Oriental Institute are excited to be playing a part in this archaeological renaissance."
Originally published 07/08/2014
Ali A. Olomi
What is significant about Al-Baghdadi’s caliphate?
Originally published 07/03/2014
"The problem with this new caliphate is that it is ahistorical, to say the least."
- New findings from Penn Slavery Project show how U. benefitted financially from enslaved labor
- Is it anti-Semitic for President Trump to call Chuck Todd ‘sleepy eyes’?
- Human Evolution: Walking Upright Evolved at Least 3.6 Million Years Ago—Long Before Modern Humans Appeared
- Why a primary challenge to Trump is likely to fail
- Smog and Disasters Spurred the Laws Trump Wants to Undo
- Feds charge controversial Kent State University professor Julio Pino with lying to FBI
- New Yorker publishes profile of H.R. McMaster just weeks after Trump fires him
- Dartmouth historian Matthew J. Garcia says conservative partisans in Arizona have taken over a civics school he once ran
- Berkeley’s Carolyn Merchant explains what ecofeminism is
- University of Southern California's David Kang says Korea is the only place on earth where the Cold War continues