Originally published 08/29/2014
Worrying about ISIS Makes Sense. Bombing Does Not. What We Need to Do Is Take Advantage of the Fact that a Majority in the Middle East Don't Like ISIS
"It is time to face facts: if you want to stop terror, deprive it of the conditions that allow it to thrive and fall on the side of justice for the people of the region as the policy is pursued."
Originally published 07/09/2014
So the risk now—the virtual certainty, in fact—is that irreplaceable history will be annihilated or sold into the netherworld of corrupt and cynical collectors.
Originally published 07/02/2014
The end of the caliphate did not matter to most Muslims.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- How American High Schools Teach The Iraq War
- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained
- Florida to replace Confederate statue in US Capitol
- 43% of Americans still think the Iraq War was a good idea
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa
- University of Chicago’s Hanna Holborn Gray has written a memoir
- Historians’ assessment of Obama’s legacy
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history