Originally published 06/01/2016
He was Hillary, Bernie and Trump rolled into one.
Originally published 02/23/2016
Mark K. Updegrove
They say past is prologue, and the waning days of the Johnson presidency are a lesson for President Obama in his upcoming Supreme Court fight.
Originally published 12/18/2015
The president of the United States has to be a Moral-Leader-in-Chief
Originally published 09/11/2014
When Did Police Start Looking Like Soldiers in a Combat Zone? No, You're Wrong. It Wasn't in the Aftermath of Iraq.
Lyndon Johnson hitched his War on Poverty to a War on Crime that combined community outreach and “get-tough” policing.
Originally published 07/20/2014
The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and the hubris behind it were the linchpins of Johnson’s Shakespearean Vietnam tragedy – and ours as well.
Originally published 04/09/2014
“It is all here: the story of our time — with the bark off."--LBJ
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- How American High Schools Teach The Iraq War
- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained
- Florida to replace Confederate statue in US Capitol
- 43% of Americans still think the Iraq War was a good idea
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa
- University of Chicago’s Hanna Holborn Gray has written a memoir
- Historians’ assessment of Obama’s legacy
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history