Exhibition Shows Ongoing Toll of Minneapolis Freeway Building
"We are clearly critics of 35W and the freeway system but I drove on a freeway to get here so I'm not above this history and I think we're all culpable," project co-lead Dr. Greg Donofrio said.
SOURCE: The Guardian
This Much is Clear: Derek Chauvin’s Trial Won’t Change Policing in America
by Simon Balto
A historian of policing warns that, while many hope for a guilty verdict, that result, by identifying and punishing "bad" policing, may effectively render legitimate forms of violence and abuse that are historially part of policing in minority communities.
SOURCE: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Derek Chauvin Trial Represents a Defining Moment in America's Racial History
University of Minnesota Professor Keith Mayes discusses the trial as part of a long and broad history of Black Americans' experiences with policing.
SOURCE: The Metropole (Urban History Association)
“Where The Waters Reflect The Clouds”: Examining Minnesota’s Indigenous History
by Katrina Phillips
"Recent events have forced Minneapolitans and Minnesotans to reckon with the state’s treatment of historically excluded populations. For the original inhabitants of what’s now Minneapolis, though, resistance and activism are nothing new."
Activists Investigate The History Of Relationships Of MPD With African Americans
NPR's Mary Louise Kelly speaks with Tony Williams, a contributor to MPD150, who published an investigation into the conduct of the Minneapolis Police Department throughout its 150-year history.
SOURCE: Star Tribune
Posh Minneapolis suburb is subject of a Wikipedia war over its "sundown town" past
The town of Edina admits its racist past, but one Wikipedia editor apparently doesn’t.
SOURCE: Talking Points Memo
Minneapolis restaurant hosted Nazi-themed party on MLK Day
Because nothing says Martin Luther King, Jr. like a bunch of drunk World War II reenactors in German uniforms, right?
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- US House "Parental Rights" Bill Threatens to Take Book Banning Nationwide
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History