St Patricks Day
Originally published 03/15/2018
They arrived dirt poor and uneducated in the 1840s. After decades of struggle, they achieved prosperity.
Originally published 03/16/2017
Most Americans come from Northern Ireland including Ulysses Grant and Stonewall Jackson.
Originally published 03/17/2015
Organizers of St. Patrick's Day parade say it's about celebrating "Irish heritage and culture." Here's the problem.
Originally published 03/18/2014
Arthur Guinness, the founder of the brewing dynasty, was a staunch unionist and opponent of Irish nationalism.
Originally published 03/15/2004
Edward T. O’Donnell
St. Patrick wasn't even Irish.
- Disclosed: Journalist helped defuse a budding conflict between the US and Cuba in 1964
- "People don’t realize": Trump and the historical facts he wants you to know
- Autism doctor Hans Asperger collaborated with the Nazis, new research shows
- University of Wisconsin, Madison to reckon with Ku Klux Klan history, but won't remove KKK member names from buildings
- School responds to assignment asking students to list 'positives' of slavery
- Is Sean Wilentz right that liberals believe in capitalism and progressives don’t?
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad