Originally published 03/12/2018
An elementary school finally painted over an outside mural showing a Rebel flag and a scene suggesting a lynching. Was Crossville’s alleged past as a ‘sundown town’ to blame?
Originally published 02/17/2017
A moving series of videos remind us of the harm inflicted on Japanese Americans by FDR's order sending them to internment camps.
Originally published 02/13/2017
Central Illinois has a long and uncomfortable association with exclusionary "Sundown Towns," where certain groups rejected other groups, leading to racially separate - practically segregated - cities & villages.
Originally published 11/02/2015
James W. Loewen
Here's what they should do when caught.
Originally published 10/29/2013
The story of medievalist Melissa Bruninga-Matteau.
Originally published 05/23/2016
They may be out of sight. They shouldn't be out of mind. A case in point.
- Poland puts Berlin's WWII bill at 440 billion euros
- The five Sullivan brothers, serving together, were killed in World War II. Their ship was just found.
- Historian H.R. McMaster out, John Bolton is in
- Polish attorney general’s office calls Holocaust law unconstitutional
- Will Trump break American democracy?
- Last Fall This Scholar Defended Colonialism. Now He’s Defending Himself.
- Jim Loewen is helping teachers teach difficult historical topics tied to race relations
- Historian (and US Senator) Ben Sasse writing book on polarization
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism